Take in the highlights of the breathtaking Maligne Valley and embark on a guided nature hike along the shores of Maligne Lake.
Maligne Valley Wildlife & Waterfalls Tour & Cruise
- Adult Ages 16+
- Child Ages 5-15 | Must be accompanied by an Adult
- Young Child Ages 0-4 | Must be accompanied by an Adult
Includes a Scenic Boat Cruise to Spirit Island on Maligne Lake
Join us on an awe-inspiring 45km journey through the Maligne Valley and discover why this area is considered one of the most stunning natural wonders of the world. This tour offers an exceptional opportunity to witness Jasper National Park’s vibrant wildlife, cascading waterfalls, and serene lakes.
Our expert guides will take you on a scenic drive up the Maligne Valley, where you’ll have a chance to encounter a diverse range of flora and fauna, search for abundant wildlife and gain insights into the valley’s natural history.
Along the way, we’ll make a 30 minute stop at the breathtakingly beautiful Maligne Canyon, where you’ll explore two bridges crossing the canyon and marvel at the views of ancient limestone and cascading waterfalls.
Continuing our drive through sub-alpine forests, we’ll arrive at Medicine Lake, where you’ll learn about the fascinating geological history of the area and take in the serene beauty of the expanding ranges of limestone rising out of the tranquil lake. This mysterious disappearing lake changes seasonally as the flow rates of melt waters fill and empty this basin. A stop is made to photograph this natural wonder, and your guide traces its history with you.
As we depart Medicine Lake, keep your eyes peeled and your camera ready. The surrounding forest is prime habitat for an array of iconic Canadian wildlife, including moose, bears and bald eagles.
Arriving at Maligne Lake, embark on a scenic boat cruise where you’ll take in stunning vistas of the lake’s glacial-blue waters and the towering mountains that surround it. You’ll be protected from the elements on the comfortable enclosed boat while you’ll learn about the human and geological history of the area. The 90 minute cruise stops at Spirit Island, where you’ll have the opportunity to walk to the famous photo viewpoint and capture some of the most stunning scenery in the Canadian Rockies.
After the cruise, you can enjoy your own packed lunch or purchase a delicious grab-and-go lunch from the Maligne Lakehouse restaurant (additional expense) before we depart back to Jasper.
Don’t miss out on this unforgettable tour where you’ll experience the best of Maligne Valley’s natural beauty and wildlife.
Please note: Wildlife sightings on this tour are frequent but not guaranteed as we are trying to view these animals in their natural habitat.
What You Need to Know
- A small amount of walking is involved. Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Travel is by comfortable 24-seat minibus and fully covered boat. However, as mountain weather can be unpredictable, participants should bring a rain jacket or umbrella and warm clothing to wear during the outdoor/walking portions of the trip in case of inclement weather.
- We have a short break for lunch at Maligne Lake. There is the chance to purchase lunch at the Maligne Lakehouse restaurant, although during peak season (July-August) there can often be long lines. To avoid waiting in line, you may wish to bring your own lunch.
- We recommend bringing a small bottle of water.
- This tour operates in all weather conditions.
Complimentary pick-up is available from selected accommodations within the Jasper Area. If your hotel is not listed below, please choose the central meeting location.
Please refer to this list of accommodations which outlines the locations available for pick-up and their relevant pick-up times.